Extra virgin olive oil (not to be confused with virgin or refined!) Has many health-promoting properties. The main reason is that it is rich in polyphenols (natural antioxidants), phytosterols (they help block the absorption of cholesterol), iron, calcium, vitamin E …
It is not a miracle product, it is a product that helps our health, balances the pH, facilitates the transit of food, improves the assimilation of some micronutrients (such as vitamin D, phosphorus, magnesium. .).
It is not surprising, then, that it is the star of the Mediterranean diet, which has been scientifically proven to improve people’s quality of life.
Extra virgin olive oil is the only food that, thanks to its fatty acids and the presence of polyphenols, reduces cardiovascular disease and oxidative stress and is a source of vitamins, especially vitamin E.
- Thanks to the antioxidants it contains, it is anti-inflammatory.
- Strengthens the immune system
- Its consumption is very positive for the circulatory system.
- Improves cognitive function and slows mental retardation (studies suggest that it can prevent diseases such as Alzheimer’s)
- It is very beneficial for people with diabetes as it helps regulate blood glucose.
There are certain varieties of olives that can provide more phenols, polyphenols … than others, which is why in Olicatessen we bet on blends of different varieties. In addition to enjoying the dishes, we like to think that we contribute to the improvement of people’s health.
Articles of interest:
Campaña de apoyo para respaldar las propiedades saludables del AOVE para el etiquetado nutricional de la UE ( https://www.oleorevista.com/?p=383437 )
L’oli d’Oliva, de la revista “Ets el que Menges”: https://etselquemenges.cat/rebost/loli-doliva
Olive oil Times (secció Salut) : https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/health-news