Relatively recently, perhaps not even 5 years ago, I learned that these potatoes are called cajun.
Of all life, at home, have been potatoes with herbs and prawns. But I recognize that it is better with that name, and more, when I have looked for the origin of the name, I liked it a lot.
The Cajuns are the French descendants who lived between Canada and the United States and were deported to Louisiana. Obviously it was an impoverished population, mainly these refugees were farmers and farmers, and due to the need they had to adapt their traditional cuisine to spices, condiments and local products. Obviously, they received a great African influence.
There are many variations of the recipe, but the most “extended” is: garlic and onion powder, black pepper, white pepper, dried thyme, dried oregano and cayenne.
At home, we have made it with the products we have in the area and in the pantry: thyme, rosemary, oregano and pepper, garlic and we mix it with the oil.
But …..!!!!! When we discovered Aromis herbal powders and preparations, now everything is much easier.
Cajun potatoes with prawns
- The potatoes are cleaned well and cut (you do not have to peel them !!!), put them on a tray to put them in the oven.
- Season well with Herb Powder for meat (contains: thyme, oregano, rosemary, bay leaf and sage) and a good splash of organic extra virgin olive oil Olicatessen. Leave to marinate for 2-4 hours.
- While the oven is heating, add the salt with saffron and hot paprika (contains: sea salt, crushed saffron threads and hot paprika). Do not put it before, because the salt draws the water out of the potato …
- It is put in the oven, for 45 minutes at 180ºC.
- After this time, we open the oven, put the peeled prawns (or prawns) and add them. We close the oven and when it reaches 180ºC again (1 or 2 minutes at most), you can turn off the oven.
- Wait 3 or 4 minutes, and you already have it !!!
Variant. Sometimes, instead of using Olicatessen Oil, I use Olicatessen& Garlic or Tarragon seasoning.
Do you have a family version that you want to share ??? We will be happy to publish it!
You can write us HERE !!! (Info@olicatessen.com)