Olive tree calendar on october
October is when the early olive harvest begins.
Depending on the temperature, the solar radiation that has occurred during the summer, the rainfall in the spring … the olive will begin its ripening.
Purple-violet tones appear in some parts of the olive, indicating its optimal point
At this time, the yield (the amount of extra virgin olive oil obtained for each kilo of olive) is low, but the quality is much higher. The main characteristics of the extra virgin olive oil obtained from an early harvest are:
– The flavor is more powerful
– The level of fruity is higher
– The acidity of these oils is low
– It has lower levels of peroxides (measures the degree of oxidation)
– They have a higher concentration of polyphenols and natural antioxidants (therefore, they are more beneficial to health)
At home, in olicatessen, we clearly bet on an early harvest!
The image of this month of October at the farms
We are at the crops just when the sun rises, around 7:30 a.m. and at 9-9:30 a.m. the first olives begin to arrive at the mill.
The aroma in the oil mill is a delight. Notes of freshly cut grass, green olive, green almond, tomato …
And our days end with the sunset. Intense days.